Monday, March 18, 2013

Solidarity



These two markers indicate the Homestead Unit in close proximity to the Aboriginal Tent Embassy. It's been going since 1972 and transformed continuously during that time, as a protest site, a depository of history and an active campsite. I've felt really cautious in approaching the embassy partly out of shyness and also out of empathy; it's gets tedious having to entertain the public and be on display for viewers (and tourists). It definitely feels like I've been subject to that experience.

I worked up enough courage and went over there this afternoon and had a chat with Tarquin, who was roasting coffee beans on an open fire. He said I could have an authentic aboriginal experience that I could tell my white friends about. Which was a piercing joke, and kinda hit on that exact difficulty I had been feeling. It's better to laugh right? Tarquin was great though, a generous person, who spoke very positively about the future and potential of the site. He also let me stir the coffee beans.